We Need Your Support
A new bill (SB5242) sponsored by Senator Marko Liias is now being considered by the Washington State
Legislature. Please go to this link to show your support.
If passed, this bill will do the following:
- Continue the very successful media literacy grant program initiated with legislation passed in 2019. Read more about our media literacy grant program here.
- Provide grants for the formation of professional learning communities. These communities will share challenges their districts face and explore new strategies for integrating media literacy education in their classrooms.
- Support two media literacy conferences held in eastern and western Washington.
SB5242 would allow Washington to maintain its position of leadership in passing media literacy legislation.
- The first media literacy bill in the nation was passed here in Washington in 2016. This bill has become a model for other states. Read more about our success in passing SSB 6273 here.
- In 2017, a follow-up bill was passed. Read more about our continuing success with SSB 5449.
- In 2019, new legislation establishing a media literacy grant program was passed. Read more about Washington’s new media literacy grant program.
- In 2020 a budget proviso making it possible to conduct 5 pre-conferences across the state was passed but later deleted by executive order along with many other provisos during the pandemic.